The goal of the cardiology service of the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center is to provide the highest level of cardiac care in conjunction with consistent and effective communication with the client and referring veterinarian.
Phone consultations with referring veterinarians are available seven days a week and cardiac consultations through the VSEC emergency service are available within 24 – 48 hours of admission, seven days a week.
Drs. Beth Bossbaly and Karen Meltzer are board-certified veterinary cardiologists (Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology)). Only Diplomates of the ACVIM (Cardiology) have completed a 3-year residency in cardiology and passed a series of national qualifying examinations.
- Echocardiography with M mode, 2D and color flow Doppler modalities for the diagnosis of congenital and developmental heart disease, and tissue Doppler Imaging for early detection of cardiomyopathy
- Comprehensive cardiac examination
- Electrocardiography (ECG)
- Specialized enhanced dye studies for difficult congenital disease (right to left shunts)
- 24 hour Holter & Event Monitoring for cardiac arrhythmia detection
- Thoracocentesis, pericardiocentesis, and abdominocentesis
- Indirect blood pressure evaluation
- ICU hospitalization and 24 hour care for critical cardiac patients
When your pet is referred to VSEC for cardiac care, you will start with an initial cardiac consultation, including a thorough evaluation of any medical history or diagnostics provided by your referring veterinarian, as well as a physical examination of your pet.
Your pet’s consultation may include an echocardiogram, blood pressure evaluation, interpretation of your veterinarian’s radiographs, in-house radiographs, and/or an electrocardiogram.
The cardiologist will discuss a treatment plan and follow-up recommendations. If hospitalization, continued care or monitoring is recommended, we will be in constant communication with you and your primary veterinarian regarding your pet’s status, and the results of diagnostics as well as the day to day treatment plan.