Losing a pet can be extremely painful. It’s often hard to turn to others who may not understand the complexity of feelings you have surrounding your loss.
The resources below were created to help those who are undergoing the loss of a pet and may need the aid of a professional and kind listening ear.
While many of these hotlines are out of state, many offer toll-free numbers for your convenience.
When your Animal Dies – AVMA – an article that covers the various stages of grief when a pet passes away.
C.A.R.E. Pet Loss Helpline: If you need a compassionate, understanding person to talk to, we are here to listen and to support you. We are here Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 7 – 9 pm Central Time. Our toll-free telephone number is: (877) 394-CARE (2273).
UC Davis Pet Loss Support – A collection of grief support resources.
Pet Loss Support Hotline hosted by the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine – 888-ISU-PLSH (888-478-7574) September – April: 7 days a week, 6:00 – 9:00 pm. CST, May – August: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 6:00 – 9:00 pm. CST
September – April: 7 days a week, 6:00 – 9:00 pm. CST, May – August: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 6:00 – 9:00 pm. CST
University of Florida Pet Loss Support – Pet Loss Support Hotline
(352) 294-4430. If someone is not available to talk with you, your call will be returned within 24 hours on weekdays. Weekend calls will be returned on Monday.
Michigan State University – Hotline and Support Group
Tues – Thurs: 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. EST. Summer hours – Tues & Thurs: 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. EST.
Chicago Veterinary Association – Pet Loss Support
Staffed by Chicago VMA veterinarians and staff. Leave voicemail message; calls will be returned 7 pm to 9 pm Central Time (Long-distance calls will be returned collect) – 630-325-1600.
Argus Institute: Grief Resources, Colorado State University – A collection of grief support resources.
Washington State University – Pet Loss Support & Hotline
Call (509) 335-5704 or (866) 266-8635. Phone or email messages can be left for our staff 24 hours a day. Our phones are normally staffed during the semester Monday – Thursday, 7 pm – 9 pm and Saturday 1 pm – 3 pm Pacific Time.
(607) 253-3932 – Cornell University Pet Loss Support Hotline staffed by Cornell University Veterinary Students on Tuesday – Thursday 6 – 9 pm EST, messages will be returned.
(540) 231-8038 – Grief support hotline staffed by Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine: Tuesday, Thursday, 6 pm to 9 pm, EST
(614) 292-1823 – Grief support hotline staffed by The Ohio State University veterinary students: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm, EST; voice-mail messages will be returned, collect, during operating hours
(508) 839-7966 – Grief support hotline staffed by Tufts University veterinary students: Monday through Friday, 6 pm to 9 pm, EST; voicemail messages will be returned daily, collect outside of Massachusetts.